Skål International Philadelphia hosted a COVID-19 Town Hall
Skål International Philadelphia hosted a COVID-19 Town Hall with its members
Pictures, presentation, and information can be found here:
In attendance, 21 Skål International members had the opportunity to hear from the Skål International Philadelphia Board. Here is a summary of the information shared:
- President, Greg DeShields shared information on the CDC guidelines and talked about the travel industry outlook. There are many resources listed on the US Travel Association website.
- Treasurer, Frank Klare led the Skål International Toast virtually! He then talked about the Florimond Volckaert Fund, which provides assistance to Skålleagues in times of need. For Skålleagues that would like to apply, visit Florimond Volckaert Fund.
- Vice President, Mariska Bogle talked about the impact to small business and provided some resources. There are a variety of programs available through the Small Business Administration.
- Skål International USA Representative, Debbie Magaldi talked about hotels in New Jersey. She mentioned that many of them are closing and offering to open as care facilities. Debbie also talked about the curfews implemented in New Jersey.
- Secretary, Betsy Barber talked about the impact at Temple University, who recently moved all their classes to online. Colleges across the country had to quick find international students housing, as most colleges sent kids home. Many hotels jumped in to help house students! Betsy also talked about how the 2020 class will graduate and have challenges finding jobs.
- Web Administrator, Amy Bendekovits talked about how to engage without contact. She recommended platforms such as Zoom, Google Hangout, and Skype. There is a platform called TwoSeven, which allows people to watch movies online together. Amy also recommended visiting your neighbors via balconies or driveways.
- Membership Director, Martin McDonough talked about the importance of networking organizations during times like these. It’s important to build trusting relationships, and to feel comfortable to reach out if you need help.
- Director, David Hirsch explained the difference between layoffs, furloughs, and unemployment. He also updated the group on relevant legislature which is providing extra assistance to those who need.
- Director, Don Gable talked about the current airline and cruise line policies, many of which are being very flexible with current and future travel arrangements.
- Weldon Smith talked about our upcoming Twinning with Skål International Monaco. He is looking for 4-5 Skål International Philadelphia members who would like to be on the Twinning Planning committee. To join, email him at this email.